Professional Soil Scientists Association of California
2010 Meeting and Field Tour
Swanton-Pacific Ranch Davenport, California
June 17 – 19, 2010
An interesting and informative meeting based at Cal Poly’s Swanton-Pacific Ranch
along the beautiful northern Santa Cruz County coast.
TOUR HIGHLIGHTS INCLUDED
- The ranch, what it is and what’s happening—it’s a busy place.
- Local land-use history—from those who know.
- Geologic and geomorphic setting—large diversity in a small area.
- Soils and tour overview—including LIDAR images.
- Soils and land-use on marine terraces.
- Soils and organic culinary herb farming on the Scotts Creek floodplain.
- Watercourse realignment and rehabilitation.
- Steelhead and salmon monitoring.
- Educational program in natural resources, earth sciences, and agriculture.
- PSSAC business discussions.
- BBQ among the redwoods with uplifting ocean view and great company.
- Geology-soils-hydrology-forestry-fire in redwood and Douglas-fir forests.
- Some soils are stable, others are not.
- Soil conditions, hillslope erosion, and salvage logging after the 2009 Lockheed fire.
- Stream channel responses and water quality monitoring.
- Lunch-time train ride.
Link to 2010 Annual Meeting’s PDF flyer
Photos of the 2010 Annual Meeting courtesy of Roger Poff.