What is Soil?
“Soil” is material capable of supporting plant life. Soil forms through a variety of soil formation processes, and includes weathered “parent material” combined with dead and living organic matter and air. Soils are vital to all life on Earth because they support the growth of plants, which supply food and oxygen and absorb carbon dioxide and nitrogen. (From Wikipedia)
The 110th United States Senate passed Resolution 440, a resolution recognizing soil as an essential natural resource, and soil scientists as playing a critical role in managing our Nation’s soil resources.
The San Joaquin soil became the official State Soil of California in 1997 with the help of some middle school students and their teacher who utilized the process as part of an integrated curriculum in his classroom. See the California State Soil
Web page for additional history, soil profile information, photo, map, brochure, and poster link access.
Read a 1/14/20 blog post by the Soil Science Society of America about the California State Soil.
View a map of the United States, developed by the Soil Science Society of America, with links to information about each state soil.
Soil Survey Information and Data
- Web Soil Survey (United States Department of Agriculture – Natural Resources Conservation Service – USDA-NRCS)
- UC Soil Web Apps
- National Cooperative Soil Survey (NCSS)
- SoilGrids World Soil Information (SRIC)
Other Links to Soil Information
- USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service – Soils, National Home Page
- USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service – Soil Classification
- USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service – Soil and Soil Health, California Home Page
- UC Davis California Soil Resources Lab
- California’s Healthy Soils Initiative
Soil Science Professional and Scientific Organizations
- California Forest Soils Council (CFSC)
- United States Consortium of Soil Science Associations (USCSSA)
- Soil Science Society of America (SSSA)
- International Union of Soil Sciences (IUSS) Note: Click on “IUSS Alerts” to see their monthly E-Newsletter updates
- United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization – FAO Soils Portal
California Colleges and Universities with Soil Science Courses
- UC Berkeley, Environmental Science, Policy & Management
- Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, Natural Resources Management & Environmental Sciences
- UC Davis Land, Air and Water Resources Department
- California State University, Humboldt, Natural Resources and Sciences Department
- UC Riverside Soil & Water Sciences Program, Department of Environmental Sciences
- UC Riverside Graduate Studies in Soil and Water Science
- California State University, Fresno, Plant Sciences Department
- Reedley College, Agriculture and Natural Resources Department
- California State University, Chico, College of Agriculture
- Cal Poly Pomona, Plant Sciences Department
Resources for Kids
- NRCS Soil Education
- Home Science: Backyard Conservation
- Soil Science Society of America (SSSA) Online Learning
These arrived just in time for PSSAC’s (sadly postponed due to COVID-19) 2020 meeting, and now we have a nice assortment of PSSAC T-shirts. They are printed on quality 100% Cotton Beefy-T’s, and are available in 4 colors: white, pebble, light steel, and teal. The shirts have been screen printed (in 6 colors), and area available in S – XXL (limited availability: see size/color quantity chart below). The shirts are $20 each, plus $5 shipping (USPS First Class in a manila envelope, available to US addresses only).
|Medium||5||5||Sold Out||Sold Out|
|X-Large||2||2||Sold Out||Sold Out|
|XX-Large||Sold Out||Sold Out||Sold Out||Sold Out|
Order your Beefy-T shirt today. Please note your preferred size and t-shirt color, and mail your check for $25 to:
P.O. Box 1464
Atascadero, CA 93423
Or use the PayPal buttons below.
||Light Steel (Small)||Pebble (Small)|
|Teal (Medium)||White (Medium)||Light Steel (Medium)||Pebble (Medium)|
|Teal (Large)||White (Large)||Light Steel (Large)
|Teal (X-Large)||White (X-Large)||Light Steel (X-Large)
|Light Steel (XX-Large)
History of Soil Survey in California. (2020). This full-color 132-page soft-bound book was written by long-time PSSAC member, Bill Reed. Limited copies are available at his cost + shipping ($20). With the help of several PSSAC members, beginning in 2002, numerous interviews were held and photos obtained for this interesting book. Note: Please contact Bill Reed ([email protected]) if you would like to purchase a copy using a check.
1 Copy History of Soil Survey in California, includes Media Mail US Shipping [PayPal] $20.00
1 Copy History of Soil Survey in California, includes Media Mail US Shipping, plus $5 Contribution to PSSAC Scholarship Fund [PayPal] $25.00
Geoecology of California and Nevada Landscapes. (2022) This 300-page soft bound book was authored by long-time PSSAC Professional Member Earl Alexander. It includes 19 chapters ranging from the geology (a brief earth history and soil parent materials), to landscape provinces, climate and hydrology, climate and hydrology, soils, and vegetation. It then provides a comprehensive review of thirteen diverse regions of California and Nevada such as the Great Basin, Klamath Mountains, Transverse Ranges, and the Coastal Landscapes. This book is available for purchase through Amazon.
Where do you think this was found in California, and can you identify it?